fluffy whole wheat sourdough bread

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:38:55 -0700
v105.n012.2
Last weekend, I made Jonathan's bread with a few changes.  I bought some
whole wheat and ground it in my coffee grinder, but I did use about half
white flour.  Next time I make it, I'll use more whole wheat and see how it
goes.  This was very good and kinda almost fluffy ... hearty, I'd call
it  : )   It rose beautifully.  I hadn't used my sourdough for a couple
months and fed it a few days prior to baking this.  YUMMY!  Thanks JK!!!

JONATHAN'S DESEM LOAF

MORNING:
Mix together:
walnut sized piece of sourdough starter
1/3 c whole wheat flour (I ground whole wheat in my coffee grinder)
2-3 T water (enough to create a softish dough)
Let sit at room temp.

EVENING:
Add 1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c water (or enough to make a softish dough)

NEXT MORNING:
Take out a walnut sized piece of starter from the above mixture and put it
back in the frig for next time.  Add enough flour to this small storage
levain to firm it up to dough consistency.

To remaining levain, add
2 c white flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 t salt.
1 c water (to make a soft dough ...just past sticky)
pinch of ascorbic acid
1 t honey

Add fancy stuff like walnuts, cheese, or ground flax or seeds at this
point.  Knead in KitchenAid until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Let sit 4-5 hours at room temperature.  "Stretch and fold" a couple times.

Shape loaf (for me, this amount of dough made one regular bread pan and one
smaller banana bread size pan).  Proof 2-4 hours (or until doubled in size).

Cold start baking at 425 F for 15 minutes.  Then turn down to 350 F.  Bake
another 30 minutes or until done.