Why poke the dough?

"Philip Seitz" <pseitz@cliveden.org>
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:57:11 -0500
v105.n005.6
I am interested in technical aspects of breadmaking, and have appreciated
the increasing inclusion of "why" explanations in recent
publications.  However, I still haven't found a good explanation of the
test for adequate rising--that is, poking the dough with a finger to see if
the dough remains indented, or bounces back.

Even if we accept that this works, what has happened to the bread that has
resulted in its change in response?  My only thought is that the maturing
dough may have reached the end of its tolerance, and therefore needs to be
baked fairly soon to avoid collapsing.  Any other thought and/or footnotes
out there?

Phillip R. Seitz
Curator of History
Cliveden of the National Trust, Inc.