Fredericka's Request

RCox45@aol.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:41:45 EST
v104.n052.1
I sent this directly to Fredericka, but thought the list might enjoy these too.

These rolls are what we use every year.  A little history... My aunt made
these every year for Thanksgiving and we all looked forward to them.  She's
since passed away and we have scattered as we've grown up.  But, I know
that most of us still have Aunt Reet's roll recipe and use it every
year.  It's now become 'tradition'.  It's just not Thanksgiving without
these rolls!  Aunt Reet always said that the secret is to freeze them first
and then reheat them.  That is especially helpful on 'Turkey day' when
every cooking surface is taken up.  She shaped them into Parkerhouse rolls
with a bit of butter inside the fold as do I), but you can make any shape
roll you want.  Here's the recipe:

Aunt Reet's Rolls

1 1/2 c milk
1 stick butter
1/2 c sugar

3 pkg yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 c water, warm

2 eggs
8 c flour

Scald 1 1/2 c. milk. Melt one stick of butter and 1/2 c. sugar in the milk
and let it cool.

Mix 3 pkg. yeast, 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1/2 c. warm water and let stand 10
minutes.

Mix the two mixtures together with 2 eggs, mixing thoroughly.  Add 7-8 c.
flour.  Knead and let rise until double.  Make into rolls and let
rise.  Bake at 350 F until brown.  Rub butter on top and freeze.  Reheat at
425 F in foil until warm.

I've got mine in the freezer all ready for Thanksgiving!  I hope you enjoy
these!

Cheryl Cox