Cracked wheat: tiresome UK question

Diane Purkiss <purkiss@purkiss.demon.co.uk>
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:03:48 +0100
v104.n041.2
Rose wrote:

>it's simply a combination of my ten grain torpedo and my sour dough
>bread--both from my book (the bread bible). i don't have it typed up but
>all you need to do is soak 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of 10 grain cereal in
>equal weight hot water at least 8 hours. then add it to your favorite
>sourdough bread recipe after the 20 minutes autolyse. to be honest, i like
>the texture and flavor best when i combine my own 10 grains as specified
>in the book but it is still delicious with the already combined grains in
>the cereal.

I love this idea!  Thank you for posting this (and your book is indeed my
bread bible, though I have over fifty bread books).  One question for
anyone who is kind enough to answer it: is what you call cracked wheat the
same as bulghur wheat?  In the UK we don't seem able to get wheat berries,
to my daughter's great grief; she loves SaraBeth's Big Bad Wolf porridge.

Diane Purkiss