Greek Bread

Linda <lindadg@eastlink.ca>
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:18:00 -0400
v104.n005.11
I tried this recipe today to serve with a Greek soup and it turned out very
well.

Greek Bread from "Rustic European Breads from Your Bread Machine" by Linda
West Eckhardt and Diana Collingwood Butts

2 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast
2 1/2 cups bread flour (I used 1/2 cup whole wheat & 1 Tbsp. gluten)
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk solids
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. mild honey
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (I used salted)

Topping:
1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup walnut pieces
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1 tsp. aniseseed
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 large egg, whisked until frothy

Process bread ingredients on dough cycle.  Remove to lightly floured
surface and knead a moment or two.  Form into a ball and cover with bread
pan for 5 minutes.  Form the dough into an 8-inch, high, round loaf and
place on parchment-covered baking sheet.  Let rise in a warm, draft-free
place until almost doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl.  Just
before baking the bread, spoon the topping onto the loaf.  Bake until the
loaf is golden brown and done, about 30 minutes.

Cool on the parchment paper on a rack.  Store in plastic wrap.  Properly
stored this bread keeps up to a week.