Waffle recipe found

<Njretired@copper.net>
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:07:23 -0600
v104.n003.14
Jazzbel wrote:  "Please, is there a waffle recipe which does not require
whipping the egg whites?"

Girl, if you use this quickie, you will never use the "old recipe"
again!  I think I obtained it years ago from the "Hints from Heloise"
newspaper column:

Whip together with a whisk: 1/3 to 1/2 cup cooking oil (I use canola) and
one whole egg.  Stir in 2 cups of biscuit mix such as Bisquik (living here
in South Texas, I use our San Antonio-based "Pioneer Biscuit Mix"
brand).  Add one small bottle of Club Soda (I use a 10 oz. bottle of the
Canada Dry brand that you can buy in a "six pack.").  It will be just the
right thickness you need....and will be bubbly; smells heavenly.

Ladle the appropriate amount of batter onto the hot waffle iron (my round,
electric waffle iron uses about 1/2 cup) and cook to your favorite shade of
brown.  When done to your liking....here's the trick.....remove the waffle
to a cooling rack, just like you would a cake.  Let it expel some of the
steam for 1/2 min. or so, then transfer it to your plate.  The waffle will
be wonderfully crispy on the outside, but still "airy", moist, and tasty on
the inside!  We don't even use extra butter on ours!

This recipe does not keep well (unless you want to add some cornmeal to the
batter and make cornmeal cakes....).  I usually just make up all the batter
into waffles and then freeze the extra ones to use in the toaster for when
we're in a real hurry.

By the way....I looked around a long time before finally purchasing one of
those "Chef's Choice 90 Second Waffle Irons."  I think I purchased it from
Chef's Catalog.  And it truly DOES make waffles every 90 seconds....almost
faster than you can eat them!  Mine is the "Belgian Waffle" grid; it works
like a charm...they never even stick.....definitely worth every penny.

Good Luck!
Jeanette in South Texas