Recipe: Stollen

ATroi37324@aol.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:00:10 EST
v104.n003.8
I watched Betsy Oppenneer make the following Stollen recipe on foodtv
during the holidays and decided to give it a try in my bread machine.  The
recipe came out delicious. It is not a bread machine recipe but I did use
the Dough cycle of my Breadman to make this. I have included the directions
that came with the recipe below the breadmachine instructions. The stollen
comes out a little dense but I would assume that is how these type breads
come out and very tasty. Definitely a keeper recipe. My changes or remarks
are in parenthesis.

Stollen
Recipe courtesy Betsy Oppenneer - Show: Sara's Secrets

For the Fruit:
1 cup mixed candied fruit
1 cup raisins
3 tablespoons dark rum or orange juice (I used orange juice)

For the Sponge:
1 scant tablespoon or 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (about 110 F)
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)

For the Dough:
1/3 cup honey
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (I used lemon and orange zest)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mace (I used ground cardamom)
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
3 to 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)

For the Filling:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons granulated sugar

For the Topping:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Prepare Fruit: Combine the mixed fruit, raisins, and rum or orange juice.
Cover and set aside. Shake or stir the mixture every so often to coat the
fruit with the rum.

Prepare Sponge: Add all the sponge ingredients to the bread pan of your
bread machine and process on Dough cycle for about 10 minutes or about 5
minutes after it actually starts kneading. (My bread machines start with a
slow mixing for about 5 minutes and then the actual kneading.) Shut the
machine off and let rise until light and full of bubbles, about 30 minutes.

Breadmachine: Add the fruit mixture, honey, egg, butter, zest, salt, mace
(or cardamom), almonds, and 3 cups of the flour to the sponge in the bread
pan. Process on the Dough cycle. After about 10 minutes open the lid and
check the dough consistency. Add the remaining cup of flour a little at a
time, if your dough is too wet and is not forming a smooth ball. (I was a
little concerned because I thought I should have added the fruit mixture at
the beep but it worked just fine adding it at the beginning -- did not get
all chopped up fine). Process until the cycle is complete. (If I recall
correctly, I think I let this rise even longer than when the cycle was
complete. I left it in the bread pan until it had risen almost to the top
of the lid

After the cycle is complete, pull out the dough onto a buttered board and
form into a ball and cover and let rest for about 10 minutes.

Shape and Fill: Turn the dough out onto a lightly buttered or oiled board
or work surface. For 1 large loaf, roll the dough into a 9 by 13-inch oval.
For 2 loaves, divided the dough in half and roll each half into a 7 by
9-inch oval. (This makes a huge loaf so it is better to form into 2
loaves.) Brush the melted butter over the top of the oval(s). Combine the
cinnamon and granulated sugar and sprinkle over one lengthwise half of the
oval(s). Fold the dough in half lengthwise and carefully lift the bread(s)
onto a parchment-lined or well- greased baking sheet. Press lightly on the
folded side to help the loaf keep its shape during rising and baking.

Second rise: Cover with a tightly woven towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
(I don't recall exactly because I had so much going at the time I was
making this, but I think I had to let it rise about 1 1/2 hours).

Preheat oven: About 10 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375 F.

Bake and cool: Bake for 25 minutes until the internal temperature of the
bread reaches 190 F. Immediately remove from the baking sheet and place on
a rack to cool. (I think I had to let it bake an extra 10 to 15 minutes
longer, but always use a thermo-meter to make sure you get the 190 degree
internal temperature. I also recall I had to cover the top of the bread
with foil because it was getting too brown and the internal temperature had
not yet reached 190 F).

To serve: Sprinkle heavily with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
(I made an icing out of 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2 Tbsp of sour cream
with 1/4 tsp almond extract and drizzled all over the stollen).

HANDMADE INSTRUCTIONS:

Prepare Fruit: Combine the mixed fruit, raisins, and rum. Cover and set
aside. Shake or stir the mixture every so often to coat the fruit with the rum.

Prepare Sponge: In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast in the water to soften.
Heat the milk to 110 F and add it to the yeast along with the honey and 1
cup flour. Cover the sponge with plastic wrap and let rise until light and
full of bubbles, about 30 minutes.

By Hand: Add the fruit mixture, honey, egg, butter, zest, salt, mace,
almonds, and 2 cups of the flour to the sponge. Beat vigorously for 2
minutes. Gradually add the remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time until the
dough begins to pull away from the side of the bowl. Turn the dough out
onto a floured work surface. Knead, adding flour a little at a time, until
the dough is smooth and elastic.

By Mixer: In the mixer bowl, add the fruit mixture, honey, egg, butter,
zest, salt, mace, almonds, and 2 cups of the flour to the sponge. Using the
paddle, beat the mixture on medium low speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add
the remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough begins to pull away
from the side of the bowl. Change to the dough hook. Continue to add flour
1 tablespoon at a time until the dough just begins to clean the bowl. Knead
4 to 5 minutes on medium-low.

First rise: Put the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat the entire ball
of dough with oil. Cover with a tightly woven towel and let rise until
doubled, about 1 hour.

Shape and Fill: Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface. For 1
large loaf, roll the dough into a 9 by 13-inch oval. For 2 loaves, divided
the dough in half and roll each half into a 7 by 9-inch oval. Brush the
melted butter over the top of the oval(s).Combine the cinnamon and
granulated sugar and sprinkle over one lengthwise half of the oval(s). Fold
the dough in half lengthwise and carefully lift the bread(s) onto a
parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheet. Press lightly on the folded
side to help the loaf keep its shape during rising and baking.

Second rise: Cover with a tightly woven towel and let rise for 45 minutes.

Preheat oven: About 10 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375 F.

Bake and cool: Bake for 25 minutes until the internal temperature of the
bread reaches 190 F. Immediately remove from the baking sheet and place on
a rack to cool.

To serve: Sprinkle heavily with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

Variation: Between 2 pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap, roll 3 ounces
almond paste or marzipan into the lengthwise shape of half the oval. Omit
the butter and cinnamon-sugar filling. Place the marzipan on half of the
oval and fold the dough in half. Let rise and bake as directed.

Notes: One cup coarsely chopped mixed dried fruits may be substituted for
the candied fruit. Cover the dried fruit with boiling water and let sit at
room temperature for 8 to 12 hours. Drain and use as you would candied
fruit. You can also make your own candied fruit and peel. This bread
freezes nicely for up to 6 months. If freezing it, do not sprinkle with
confectioners' sugar. To serve, first thaw the bread, then bake on a baking
sheet in a preheated 375 F oven for 7 to 10 minutes. Just before serving,
sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

Rosemary