Sourdough Starter for Carolyn

<Njretired@copper.net>
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:50:49 -0600
v104.n002.1
Hi Carolyn.........sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you on
this recipe....my friend finally gave it to me last week.

This is a good "starter" that I've been playing with for the last few
months.  It has worked consistently well using both bread machine and "by
hand" techniques.

SOURDOUGH STARTER:
Mix together:
1 envelope of dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
2 cups very warm water   (I just used my hot water out of the tap)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 small potato, halved   (I used 3 Tblsp. of potato flakes, instead)

Leave mixture sitting out on the countertop all day.  Toss out the potato
and refrigerate the starter.

Every Wednesday and Saturday morning (or any two days you choose...I've
even dropped to once per week and it's OK), feed the starter with 1/2 cup
sugar, 3 Tablespoons potato flakes, and 1 cup hot tap water.  Stir with a
wooden or plastic spoon (use glass or plastic bowl...nothing metal).  Let
the starter set out on countertop 8 to 10 hours (do not cover the starter.)

THAT NIGHT, BEFORE RETIRING FOR BED...MAKE THE BREAD:

Stir together:
1/2 cup sugar  (or use 1/4 cup. if you like it less sweet)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups hot tap water

Add:
1 cup starter and stir again

Add:
6 cups bread flour, adding 2 cups at a time, stirring after each 2
cups;  you will need a large glass bowl to mix this in.

Spray the top of the dough-ball with "Pam" after you get your dough
mixed.  Cover it and let it rise overnight on the counter.

The next morning, punch the dough down; divide the dough into thirds, put
in pans, and spray the tops with Pam.  Cover and let rise 8 to 10 hours (or
about 6 hours if you prefer your bread to be more firm.)

Bake at 325 or 350 F for 30 to 35 min.  Brush the browned tops with butter
when you take it out of the oven to cool.

Here's the recipe I've been using for the BREAD MACHINE VERSION....
(1 1/2 lb. loaf)

Mix together 1 T. yeast and 1/2 tsp. sugar in 1/2 cup hot tap water.  Set
it aside for a few minutes so it will start to bubble up some.

In your machine bowl:  put in the above yeast and water mixture (it will
have begun to bubble up some by now), 3/4 cup of the cold "starter" from
your refrigerator, an additional 1/4 cup sugar (I like our bread slightly
sweet), 3 T. oil, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and then 3 cups bread flour.

Set the cycle to either just "dough" (and just keep the dough in the frig
until ready to shape and bake), or to your basic, "medium or dark crust"
loaf of bread.  Watch it closely the first 5 min. of kneading...you will
need to add a couple of tsp. of water if it's too dry (add one tsp. at a
time), or even add a tsp. of flour if it's too wet.  After about 10 min. of
kneading, it should be smooth, and sort-of sticky.  If the machine is
making too much of a pounding noise when it kneads...it's too dry...add
some water to the dough (as mentioned above.)

I have a Sears Kenmore bread machine....and it's a really good one....works
perfectly every time.  I've used this dough for bread (wonderful sandwiches
or toast in the mornings) and also for rolls.  Just made up a batch of
dough last night to try cinnamon rolls today.  They will go right to the
"hips"....but hey....'tis the Season, right?!?  Maybe I'll give them to
that new Skinny-Butt neighbor of mine...

Hope you all have a wonderful, safe, New Year!
Jeanette in South Texas... where it's 70 degrees and we need a RAIN!