Re: Unsalted Butter

"David A Barrett" <Dave.Barrett@lawpro.ca>
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:48:07 -0500
v103.n053.16
How much salt is there in a tablespoon of salted butter?  Don't
know?  Neither do I.  I bet it varies from brand to brand too.

Some time back, my wife and I discovered a french contraption called a
"beurriere".  Basically, it allows you to keep butter at room temperature
for days or weeks at a time without having it go off.  We stoppped using
margarine the next day.  What we discovered, when going back to butter as a
spread, is that salted butter is *very* salty.  Luckily, there is a brand
of semi-salted butter available in our area, so we switched to that.

I once tried to make croisants with salted butter (didn't have any unsalted
in the house at the time).  They were inedible, it made that much of a
difference.  This also illustrates another important point.  The salt in
the croisant dough is a necessary component that adds to the elasticity of
the dough, I couldn't add less salt to the dough to compensate for the
butter, because the butter is added to the recipe after the dough has been
kneaded and risen.

There's two reasons: timing and precision.

Dave Barrett