new microwaves worth a look

Ed Okie <okie@digital.net>
Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:52:40 -0500
v103.n051.14
Microwave ovens and bread baking are two subjects best described as "not
best of friends." But there is occasional application.

Recently I replaced our 24-year-old unit with one using a new "inverter"
technology. It's not widely advertised nor well known. Equally confusing,
various brands use different names: Panasonic calls it an "Inverter,"
Kenmore calls their microwave "ultra-Wave Technology." Both are the same.
Last week's bread-baking crisis: I forgot to take four eggs out of the
refrigerator to warm in advance... and the dough flour was being mixed. I
needed eggs quick and without chilling the dough!

Warming four eggs in a bowl in a microwave normally isn't a good idea.
They'll cook (turn white) along the outside edge. But because of this
microwave's new "inverter" technology the raw cold eggs warmed quickly
without cooking - I was able to apply a true low-power setting (10%).
Normal microwaves (almost all on store shelves), when "reduced power" is
selected, 40%, 20%, etc., regardless of the dial setting it actually heats
at - full - power... but pulses power full-on, then off. Full power, even
for brief periods, affects food protein cells.

With the Inverter technology the microwave's power is actually - reduced -
to a lower but-constant output. 10 percent really is 10% power... not 100%
full power for 1/10th of the time. The difference is significant. In this
case delicate eggs warmed instead of cooking.

Frozen bread warms better, too. (The regular oven is best for warming
frozen bread, but the microwave does work in a pinch).

Check out "inverter" microwaves next time you're in need of a new machine.
They do work well for that occasional need in bread making, and for all
other kitchen chores.

          - Ed Okie