Crushed Flaxseed in Wheat Bread...

"Barda" <Barda@arkansas.net>
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:54:03 -0600
v103.n050.16
Wrote:
>Susan Brigden <Susie22@mindspring.com:
>Another flaxseed question
>Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 05:49:56 -0500
>
>I am interested in trying to add ground flaxseed to bread Does anyone have
>a recipe...or experience...adding ground flaxseed to a regular white bread
>recipe?

Susan, I've been using ground flaxseed in my machine breads for years with
no difficulty.  I grind the flaxseed in an electric coffee grinder.

Chellie Barda's Wheat and Flax Bread:

1/2   Cup     Oatmeal
1 7/8 Cups   Buttermilk (to 2 cups)
2     Tbsp    Olive oil
3     Tbsp    Honey
1     tsp     Salt
3     Cups    Wheat flour.
Included as part of this 3 cup amount are:
   a..     2    Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
   b..     2    Tbsp Wheat Bran
  (in other words, take out 4 Tbsp. of wheat flour and add the flax and bran)
1     Cup     Bread flour
3     Tbsp    Vital Wheat Gluten
2 1/2 tsp     Dry yeast

Place all ingredients in bread pan, using least amount of liquid listed in
the recipe (1 7/8 cups).  Set at Medium Crust, Whole Wheat Cycle. Press Start.

Watch dough as it kneads.  After 5 or 10 minutes, if it seems dry and
stiff, or if your machine sounds like it's straining, add more buttermilk
(1 Tbsp at a time) until the dough forms a soft, pliable ball that is tacky
to the touch.

After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan and place on rack to
cool.  Cool at least one hour before slicing.

Enjoy!

Chellie Barda