Clear Flour

<jesswass@bellsouth.net>
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:48:46 -0500
that it is of higher gluten content than whole  wheat flour from which the
bran has been sifted out.

But according to George Greenstein in his "Secrets of A Jewish Baker" and I
quote from the book. First Clear or Clear Flour often refered to as common
flour , is the least refined of the bread flours. Lower in gluten content
and darker in color than other flours, it is used primarily in rye breads.
The common flour keeps the desired dark color of the rye while providing
enough gluten for the bread to rise. The lower protein content allows for
the dense texture, which  makes it a good sandwich bread and gives it the
chewy bite sought for in rye bread. Use of common flour is one of the
secrets of making real Jewish rye bread. End of quote. He suggest trying
your local bakery, which is where I got my supply of clear flour. Hope this
helps in making a real Jewish of Deli rye bread.

Jess