re: flax seed

Lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:50:54 -0700
v103.n050.2
I got this quote somewhere I can't remember, but sometimes I use whole
seeds anyway, just because I like seeds crunching in my teeth!

"Whole Flax seeds should never be used in bread. You add no nutrition to
your bread by using whole flax seed as they aren't digested when
eaten.  Grind the seeds into meal. If you can't find them, use sesame seeds
or poppy seeds.  Flax Seed meal is high in Omega-3 fatty acids."

This is a wonderful recipe and could be made into a loaf.  I can't remember
where it came from either, could've been this list.

FLAX SEED LUNCHEON ROLLS

Crusty, nutty, (no nuts) bronze-crumbed.  Molasses just to color, not to
flavor.

2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon instant yeast
2 tablespoons flax seed oil or canola oil
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons rye flour
1 egg
1/2 cup flax seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup natural bran (used All-Bran)
3-4 cups white bread flour

Proof water and yeast. Whisk in oils, lemon juice, honey, molasses, salt,
rye flour, egg, flax seeds, sesame seeds, whole-wheat flour and natural
bran. Fold in 2 cups of white flour and blend a few minutes. Attach dough
hook and knead, adding remaining bread flour or as required, to make a
sticky but cohesive dough.

Let the dough rise until almost doubled, 45-60 minutes. Turn out and gently
deflate. Let dough rest, lightly covered with a towel, 15 minutes. Divide
into 16 portions and shape each into a ball.

Space rolls 2-3 inches apart on the greased baking sheet.  Cover lightly.
Let rise 20-40 minutes or until almost doubled.  Bake at 375 F for 18-20
minutes or until nicely browned all over.

Makes 16 small luncheon buns, suitable for serving with salad or a main
dish or 12 larger, sandwich rolls.  (I made 16 and they're large enough for
hamburger buns-lobo)