Pain a l'Ancienne Proofing Box

"Rich Halbert" <rvh@inteliport.com>
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:15:00 -0500
v103.n049.13
I make this bread a lot but have modified my method a bit from Peter with
some help from Ed Okie.  I don't mix much nor knead-2 minutes total with
KitchenAid mixing paddle-not the dough hook.  Then, thanks to Ed, I form
the loaves cold.  This means that they warm and proof for 2-3
hours.  Previously I covered them with a kitchen towel (actually a light
one, or so I thought) but I observed that the towel was inhibiting any rise
that would occur.

Here's the BEST PART.  If you belong to COSTCO Wholesale club they are
currently selling a package of 2 11" x 17" half sheet pans with a roasting
rack/cooling rack and a pair of plastic lids for about $12.  If you put the
plastic lids on the pan they are perfect for 3 loaves (the long way) to
proof and warm without being mashed with a towel.  Put the loaves on
parchment and slide them into the pan (not on the back side as before),
cover and wait.

Later,
Rich-in-NC