Whole Wheat--No Oven Spring

Howard Larson <hblarson@core.com>
Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:17:20 -0600
v103.n049.8
Folks,

I have a problem getting oven spring for my whole wheat loaves.  I don't
have this problem with loaves made entirely from AP flour.  I even use the
cold start method that was written about in this list.  The loaves appear
to proof normally but there is no rise during the baking.  I suspect I need
to cut back on the amount of whole wheat flour, but before I start
experimenting I would like to get some opinions on alternatives for
adjusting the recipe.  Here is my recipe for two loaves:

460  gm     Bread flour (about 13% protein)
310  gm     Whole wheat flour
538  gm     Milk, 1% milk fat, 10% milk solids
  15  gm     Salt
  15  gm     Sugar
  15  gm     Oil
   7  gm     Quick-rise yeast

Dough weight:  1360 gm  (3 lb)

The dough is proofed once then shaped and placed into pans.  After second
rise it is baked at 375F for 45 to 50 minutes.

Howard Larson