Re: My Mother's Bread

DRogers248@aol.com
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:33:56 EST
v103.n049.6
"Kenneth McMurtrey" <kdlam@netdoor.com> wrote:
>As far back as I can remember my mother made bread. She made three types:
>cornbread (always baked in a round cast iron skillet and without sugar,
>thank you very much), biscuits, and lite bread.

Kenneth, I enjoyed your letter so much!  I am from the south and agree very
strongly about cornbread not having sugar! LOL  I also enjoyed your
reference to learning bread baking <or any> techniques from our elders.
There was a recent discussion on another list I am on and I made the
comment how sad it was that the kids of today might not ever taste a
homemade biscuit or sadder yet, not watch "old hands" making them.  One of
my most vivid childhood memories is watching my grandmother making biscuits
and giving me just a bite of that raw dough. That taste is so viviidly
etched into my mind.  To this day, when I make biscuits, I taste the dough
and it takes me back to my grandmother's kitchen. Thanks again for sharing.

deb*