Re: Campfire bread baking?

"C. B." <meddwl@hotmail.com>
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:52:27 +0100
v103.n039.13
I took packets of dry yeast instead of baking-powder. And sun- warmed
water. :-) When we came back to camp after a day hiking, I'd make the
dough, then put it in a nice warm, draft-free place (we had a car, and the
back window was usually just right. When the fire was at the cooking stage
(glowing coals, and lots of them) the dough had risen enough and I'd roll
thin strands around branches (of non-poisonous trees....) to bake at a
distance from the coals. Resting the stick on the ground between some
rocks, and leaning (still the stick) against the fire-grill, forked stick
or a big rock worked well. When done on the outside, test the inside - if
still a bit raw poke the stick through the side of the bread and place
bread like a chimney over the heat. Turn once. A flat, smooth rock will
work as a griddle, if placed on the fire-grill, or directly on the coals,
so if you can flatten the dough enough, you can make chapati-like bread
which is also very good and cooks fast.

Cabe.