RE: dough enhancer vs either/or gluten, asorbic acid and whole wheat

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@dimensional.com>
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:04:22 -0600
v103.n035.6
Mike wrote:

>I see a lot of bread recipes that call for the addition of Vital Glutten
>or Dough Enhancer. Some have both added.Which one are you better off
>using? Is the end result the same using either one. The Vital Glutten is
>cheaper to purchase than the Dough Enhancer. I'm looking for the best
>bread that can be made and if the Enhancer does a better job then so be
>it, that's what I'll keep. No need to have both is there? I also see
>asorbic acid (vitamin c) powder in a few recipes. Do I need a science
>degree to make a loaf of bread? I hope someone out there with more
>knowlege than I have can enlighten me.

I always reach for the dough enhancer. It's a mix of barley malt, asorbic
acid, and vital wheat gluten. I think it's a mix of all three that really
helps heavy, stiff bread doughs.

I never leave it out of bagel and whole grain bread recipes.

As for your whole wheat bread dilemma: A 100% whole wheat loaf is always
going to be heavier and denser than than other whole wheat loaves. Mainly
because the germ and the bran keep the gluton from fully forming in these
breads. Adding dough enhancer, and sufficient liquid will help. Sometimes
more water needs to be added. It's a hands up in the air kind of thing. The
way these techniques work will vary from baker to baker. I would suggest
experimenting with water content and rising times.

My bakery makes a honey-whole wheat bread that is a fantastic, yet slow
riser. This is due to a wild yeast starter that we use rather than packet
yeast. The wild starter acts as a conditioner for the dough. You might want
to try something like this for your bread.

Roxanne