Consistent results with homemade bread flour and Giustos

Anita Burns <shanti3@gte.net>
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:04:04 -0700
v103.n033.8
Hi, I have been reading the list for some years but rarely post. I have
been reading the discussion about consistent results being difficult
because of the differences in flour.  I have had really good results with
Giustos unbleached flour (not bread flour). I order it in 25 pound bags and
make my own bread flour. Here is the recipe:

For each 6 cups of flour, add:
1 tbs gluten flour
1 tbs diastatic malt powder
1 tsp ascorbic acid.

This works for whole wheat flour too. I got the recipe from "Smart Bread
Machine Recipes" by Sandra L. Woodruff. I don't bake in my bread machine
anymore but use this bread flour recipe anyway. It works great. I keep all
my flour and the additives in the freezer. I know some people say not to do
this, but it works for me. I even keep my yeast in the freezer and it stays
potent for years. Anyway, Giustos, at <http://www.giustos.com/>. Seems to
be a wonderfully consistent flour. It is used by a lot of commercial
bakeries and by restaurants that bake their own bread.

Anita Burns
shanti3@usa.net