Slashing and flouring bread dough...

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Skallywagg)
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:26:14 -0400 (EDT)
v103.n032.4
John sez:  If you sprinkle with flour BEFORE slashing the contrast between
the floured top and the unfloured dough revealed as the slashes open in the
oven is visually stunning, and the flour helps make slashing easier, the
blade sticks less.

Bob replies:  I slash my dough and then immediately sprinkle on the
flour.  Then it goes into the oven.   Because the slashes don't open until
the heat hits the dough, I don't think it makes any difference when
the  flour goes on.  With regard to the blade sticking, I use a Nuflex
polymer clay blade that is actually made for potters.  It never
sticks.  Take that, Yorkshire Lad.  ;-)))