Tomato Bread

"King's Crown" <qoe@earthlink.net>
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:08:15 -0700
v103.n032.3
This recipe is so good it seems like it deserves a fancier name.  Funny
I notice I didn't have any tomato sauce in the pantry, but had 4 cans of
tomato paste.  Wondering why I had so many I decided on something
different for dinner for the lack of tomato sauce.  Then I came across
my bread machine magic book (_Bread Machine Magic_ by Linda Rehberg &
Lois Conway).  Giving it a look through to see if it deserved to stay in
the kitchen or go to the pantry book shelf I notice I had marked tomato
bread as a recipe to try, but hadn't yet.  Well, what do you know it
asks for 1 can of tomato paste.  Sold.  Plugged in the bread machine.
First time I had left it unplugged in years, but the dehydrator needed
to come in.  I plugged in the 13 year Zoji bread maker and nothing
happened.  I've been waiting for about 5 years for the thing to die.
Decided to check that I had plugged in the right appliance.  A HA! Wrong
plug - the Zoji is still alive. Yeah!  Made the recipe and it was so
good I'm making another today.  Recipe said it made great croutons.
Well, we ate the other loaf yesterday and this morning.

Tomato Bread
1 1/2 lb size

5/8 cup milk
6 oz. can tomato paste
1 egg
3 1/4 cup bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 T olive oil
1 T sugar
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp dried minced onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg ( I used 1/4 tsp just sounded like too much to me)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Light Crust setting, and press Start.

After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on cake rack, and
allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.  (Yeah right!  With a good bread knife
we sliced it fresh out of the oven, applied butter and ate it.)

Enjoy,
Lynne