Re: Sue Ellen's question

"Leigh Davisson" <leighd@attglobal.net>
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:03:12 -0700
v103.n022.11
I don't know anything about Mister Loaf, but I almost always make my bread
in a bread machine and then finish it in the oven.  I make all sorts of
shapes of breads; baguettes, eight braid loaf, pan de mie, standard loaves,
round ...  For many people using a bread machine is heresy, but it works
for me.  I let the machine knead it and let it have the first rise in the
bread machine.  I then take it out and proceed with the recipe from there.

A couple of things to watch for in a bread machine;

1) make sure not to overload it with more than the recommended weight of
ingredients

2) check the dough often while it is kneading.  You do not want to over mix
the dough.  It gets too hot and is kneaded too much.  Kneading it the
proper amount will give you a far superior loaf to one that is over or
under kneaded.

3) Some machines like you to add the ingredients in a certain order.  Some
like flour first; mine likes the liquids added first.

4) Some machines are better than others.  Some get the dough too hot.  You
will have to keep an eye on your machine and make sure it behaves.  Play
around with the amount of time you knead in the bread machine.

As you said, you're only out a bit of dough if your bread isn't perfect.
Good luck.

Leigh