Re: Kitchen Aid mixer

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:36:47 -0600
v103.n018.12
"Ron" <menoldre@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Goto www.ebay.com click on SEARCH, click on BY USERID and type in
>KITCHENAID.  That is their factory refurbished sales outlet.  I bought the
>BIG one for about $220 including shipping.

Good advice.

>Over Christmas I went to a cookie baking party and used a smaller
>Kitchenaid (the ones that the head tilts up) and it kept bouncing though
>the thick dough.  Something the big one doesn't do since the bowl raises
>and lowers instead of the head tilting up.

I have a KitchenAid 45SS that I've had since the dawn of recorded
history.  The head doesn't bounce up and down on thick dough - if you
remember to use the head lock on the right side of the mixer.

As to the original question about needing to buy a big KitchenAid to keep
it from burning out, there is a LOT of discussion about KitchenAid mixers
in the different food forums on the net.  I bought mine in the late 1970's,
and it's been a workhorse for me.  Even though it has a "small" 250 watt
motor.  I make pasta, knead bread, grind grain and more.  I had it
overhauled once because I wasn't sure if it was still a happy mixer.  They
lubed it and told me it was fine.

Lots of people confuse power and quality.  My 250 watt motor has run for
years.  I hear that more modern high wattage units burn out under the
load.  It ain't the size of the motor, it's the build quality that is the
key issue here.  A well made larger motor will let you do more work, and do
it for longer.  But if it's not well made, it won't be a real advantage.

Many people feel that since Hobart sold KitchenAid to Whirlpool the quality
has been dropping.  I hope that's not true, but it could well be.

As a result, many people are looking at Kenwood, Bosch and other brands of
mixers.

Despite really liking my KitchenAid, if I had to purchase a mixer today, I
think I'd really do some in-depth research before spending my money.

Mike
--
Mike Avery                    MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com