FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:22:20 -0800 (PST)
v103.n015.16
Once again, the knowledgable and thoughtful members of this group have
answered the call. I had more than 23 responses to my request for help in
finding baking tiles.

Eighteen of them came the first day! I tried to send a personal response to
all but it got to be too much.

In my corner of Cincinnati where Lowe's and Home Depot (Agent Orange!) are
within sight of each other, they have different policies. The six 8 x 8
tiles (77 cents each) I wanted to buy went back because they don't cut.

At Lowe's, I found 6 x 6 at 39 cents. A bargain at $2.36 even when I had to
pay $1 a cut to turn one tile into three sections.

There was wonderful advice about finding a mature sales person, carefully
wording the request, trying carpet stores, and carefully examing the stock
regardless of what the clerk said.

I am 74 and I found a clerk who was old enough to call me "girlie"!

Now, please, two more question. I know I must preheat but I have been given
times ranging from half and hour to an hour and a half! (Usually I pre-heat
for 30 minutes for conventional baking.) How long?

Here's the second. Two people have mentioned unpleasant smelling smoke the
first few times, including smoke alarms. Has any one had this problem?

Because I have an electric oven, I am planning to lay the tiles in a jelly
roll pan so I can move them easily.

Again my thanks to all of you for your support.

Fredericka