fictional, fractional or frivolous ounces

Ed Okie <okie@digital.net>
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:16:42 -0500
v103.n015.15
Don Bischoff's post last week on the bread-bakers list was unfortunate -
approaching a verbal personal "attack" against a prior contributor who
critiqued the inclusion of "decimal fractions of an ounce" (in Reinhart's
otherwise superb bread book.)

Bischoff's war-of-words: "I beg to differ with John's assessment. Whether
one-quarter ounce is stated as a fraction (1/4) or a decimal (.25) it means
the same thing... It appears that the only thing ridiculous is John's
inability to comprehend numerical systems and mathematics.... I can only
conclude, that John's allegations are baseless and would best be ignored."

Reflective points:

The tone of the message puts bread-list manager Reggie Dwork in an
uncomfortable editing position: include, edit or delete inflammatory
messages? When does "freedom of speech" become "personal attack"?

Bischoff's remarks approached the latter. And that's unfortunate.
Inflammatory remarks diminish the "willingness-to-help" function of
list-readers helping each other in an otherwise excellent forum. It
inhibits contributions to the bread-list, or simply asking questions - the
subconscious thought: I, too, might get verbally chastised.

Equally troubling are tirade-tainted words "ridiculous," "allegations,"
"baseless," "(John) would best be ignored." It might cause readers to shy
away from changing to the better method of weighing ingredients, in place
of the error-prone volume-cup method.

A key suggestion: Remember the purpose of the bread-list: fellow
bread-baking enthusiasts helping each other. Also remember we're getting
this excellent service - free - through the diligent work of Reggie and Jeff.

I might add: John's depth of knowledge and skills in both bread baking and
math is very significant, his worldly advice always worth considering.
Likewise, his point stating that ounces expressed as decimals is awkward,
causes confusion - is a valid observation.

Clarity and simplicity always are key elements to success. It is a reason
why gram and percentage measurements often are preferred.

Now let's get back to baking bread. In peace.