Whole wheat and low-sugar bread recipes???

lfc@juno.com
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:44:32 -0600
v103.n014.8
My family just started on Sugar Buster's a few weeks back and we're having
great results, but I need a really great whole wheat bread recipe without
sugar or at least without much sugar.  I experimented with cups of warm
water, yeast and a different sweetner per cup.  Only the sugar made the
yeast react.  So, where I used 2 T of honey per loaf, now I use 1-2 tsp.
honey for rising and 1 T Splenda for taste.

This is my latest trial and it was good tasting and textured but it still
didn't rise enough.   I like a fairly dense, but soft bread to slice for
sandwiches.  Something soft enough to not wear out your jaws and that won't
break or crumble when handled.

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups whole white wheat flour
10 T Vital Wheat Gluten
1 egg
1 1/4 cup warm milk
1 1/2 tsp. honey
1 1/2 T Splenda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 T butter
3 tsp yeast

I also tried it using all whole wheat pastry flour with similar results. It
just doesn't rise enough.

It rises well on the first rise, but in the pan it doesn't rise past the
edge of the glass bread pan and I bake at 350F til brown.  It only rises a
little past the pan, so it is not a good sandwich-size loaf.

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ADDITIONS OR CHANGES?????  I am curious about the
lecithin and 'modified food starch' that I've seen on some of the
websites.  Does anyone know how well they work.  I read a post about
lecithin being like an egg yolk, but does it work better?  I'd stick to an
egg if not.

Thanks,
Linda