ounces and weight

"llasser" <llasser@quiknet.com>
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 07:41:27 -0800
v103.n014.6
Regarding Peters use of tenth's of ounces in his book: I bought a postal
scale a while back and am delighted with it as a kitchen scale. It is
digital, accurate, graded in 10ths of ounces, and, as I recall, cost about
$22.00 (at Costco). Accuracy is a good thing, you can choose to round up or
down if you like.

The problem I've been having is that I finally started weighing my flour
and am dumbfounded that 2 1/4 cups of King Arthur unbleached white weighs
19 ounces! I have double and triple checked this. What's going on? No
wonder I've been having to use more water than Peter calls for in his
recipes. Is flour heavier on the west coast?

Lissa

[[ Editor's note: Lissa adds this two days later: ]]

OOPS!
I blew it, re-measured and made sure the scale was on something level. I
weighed 2 cups of white bread flour and it was 11.2 ounces. That is much
more realistic.