Muffin request

"Leigh Davisson" <leighd@attglobal.net>
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:58:14 -0800
v103.n004.12
Hi Carolyn -

I made this last week to take on a road trip; had to make it a second time
because the first batch disappeared the day I made it.  I did not peel the
apples, and used 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice and 1 teaspoon ginger.
Original recipe calls for 1 cup nuts, but that adds a lot of fat calories.
I substituted white whole wheat flour for half the flour shown.  I also
omitted the glaze because it was very moist and didn't need it.

4 cups (24 ounces) diced, apples* (about 6 medium apples)
2 cups (15 ounces) brown sugar
3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup cider, boiled cider, apple juice, or milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

*This would also be delicious with pears, or a pear/apple combination.

Glaze
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon

In a large bowl, mix together the apples and sugar. Let rest for 45
minutes, stirring occasionally, till the mixture becomes syrupy.

Whisk together the flour, salt, soda, and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk
the oil, cider (or other liquid), eggs, and vanilla. Stir the wet
ingredients, the apples, and the nuts into the dry ingredients, stirring
just till everything is well-mixed.

Spoon the batter into a lightly greased tube pan, bundt-style pan, angel
food pan, or muffin tins. Bake the cake in a preheated 350 F oven for 15
minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 F, and continue to bake for an
additional 45 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out
clean; allow slightly less time for muffins. Remove from the oven, allow it
to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and remove it from the pan. Drizzle with
the glaze (or melted caramel), if desired.

Glaze: While the cake is baking, mix together the lemon juice, grated rind,
and sugar, stirring to melt the sugar.

SOURCE: King Arthur Flour, www.BakingCircle.com, December 3, 2002