covered unglazed clay baking pans

Ellen Lee <leep@mkl.com>
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 11:30:53 -0500
v103.n001.6
Randy, I wonder if what you are looking for is a romertopf. I bought two of
them at a Williams-Sonoma store several years ago, and I just checked the
website and found that they now offer it in the 4 qt. size only. It can be
used for baking bread or for unbeatable roast chicken or a host of other
things. Check this URL if you're interested:

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com//srch/name.cfm?imgs=on&src=hme&rootcat=shop&str=romertopf&x=8&y=6

If you're looking for something strictly for bread baking, King Arthur
offers unglazed clay covered baking pans in two styles: a dome-shaped 11"
diameter x 8" high cloche and a long 14.5" x 5 1/8" x 7" high Italian loaf
style. Both are on page 8 of the 1/03 catalog, or shop online at
http://www.bakerscatalogue.com  On the same page is an intriguing pan
called a Steaming Baking Master, but it isn't clay.

Regardless of what you select, it'll cost you about $50.00. Consider it a
lifetime investment and it doesn't hurt so much. I wouldn't think of baking
bread in anything other than the unglazed British-made unglazed clay bread
pans I bought about 20 years ago. They are well seasoned with an
accumulation of layers of baked-on shortening, and bread just slips out. I
wash them once in awhile with plain water and don't soak them. King Arthur
has them, too, on page 7 of the same catalog, but they aren't the same pans
as the ones made in England that I no longer can find anywhere.

I have no connection with either Williams-Sonoma or King Arthur other than
via my credit card.

Ellen