Clarification please

"Regina Rectanus" <smfarm@bellsouth.net>
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:53:24 -0500
v102.n054.8
I read with great interest the warnings about BITTER ALMONDS.  Around
Thanksgiving and Christmas, nuts in shells begin to make their appearance
in the baking sections of food markets.  My question.  I assume purchased
nuts in shells are unroasted.  Are they raw almonds though?  I see almonds
shelled in the bulk food section.  Are these safe to use?.  What is the
definition of Bitter Almonds as opposed to raw almonds or the almonds most
home bakers use, i.e., chopped, blanched, slivered, etc., etc?.  Have these
been treated in some way if they are indeed the same almonds as Bitter
Almonds?  I am on a health food program which tells me that a milk
substitute can be made from almonds, soaked for 12 hours, then worked in a
blender with dates and water and strained to produce a 'milk'.  I need to
have a better definition of what a "bitter almond" is, perhaps someone
knows the botanical name for these and the botanical name for almonds
intended for safe human consumption.  Any help will be appreciated.