Re: flour weight and protein content

"kylewarendorf@myvzw.com" <kylewarendorf@myvzw.com>
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 05:50:33 -0400
v102.n045.16
"rightly or wrongly I assume that 1 cup of flour is equal to 8 ounces or
228 grams"

That would be wrongly :-) A cup of flour weighs 4-5 oz. Using 8 oz. would
yield very stiff dough and very dense loaves.

"Is the difference between 11.8%, 12.5% and 13.2% in the end product
discernable?"

If you can get your hands on bread flower, in the 13% range, I would use it
for artisan breads. Because you won't be using a pan, the extra gluten will
help.

On the retarding question, I do not adjust my formulae. I find retarding
not only makes the scheduling easier, it greatly enhances the flavor of my
bread.

Just one man's opinion :-)
Kyle