Weighing liquids, amount of protein and amount of yeast

"Steven Leof" <leof@compuserve.com>
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:59:59 +0100
v102.n043.2
I recently subscribed to the Bread-Bakers list which has been helpful. Not
knowing anyone who bakes seriously and relying only on books and common
sense I appreciate access to the forum for questions and ideas.

Following the recent thread about using scales coincidently I have been
struggling to convert my bread recipes from avoirdupois to the metric
system. Weighing dry ingredients seems straightforward (rightly or wrongly
I assume that 1 cup of flour is equal to 8 ounces or 228 grams). However
converting liquid measures from teaspoons, tablespoons and cups to grams
has left me scratching my head.

Weighing a cup of water isn't a problem for my trusty old-fashioned English
Weylux Queen scale. But what is the weight I should assume correct for a
cup of water? Does the weight of water vary in a colder or a warmer room? I
have not seen a conversion table anywhere. When substituting milk,
buttermilk, olive oil and other liquids in recipes should I assume that all
liquids weigh the same? Recipes with percentages are much easier to
replicate time and again and to modify than traditional recipes; even the
new wave of bread books fall down when it comes to liquids....

Quite separate from the above I tend to use a Poolish for most of my
breads. What is the prevailing opinion for the optimal amount of protein in
flour for artisan bread? Is the difference between 11.8%, 12.5% and 13.2%
in the end product discernable? I have been told that doughs that are
retarded are fine with flour at the lower end of the range and that breads
that are not retarded are better with flour at the higher end of the range.
Is this correct?

One final question today if I may. I find it easier to fit bread-making
into my schedule when retarding dough than when proofing it at room
temperature. I usually use a total of 2% yeast in my recipes (benchmarked
against the flour). Should I reduce the amount I use for doughs that are
retarded? If so by how much?

Steven Leof