Re: Preheating hotter

Alexander/Karen <plomp@together.net>
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:00:00 -0400
v102.n042.16
 >Does anyone heat their oven to 50F/10C (plus or minus) above the baking
 >temperature prior to putting the bread in the oven, spritzing, etc. and
 >then immediately lowering the heat to the normal baking temperature?

Yes, I do that most of the time. I think Peter Reinhart mentions that
method in his Breadbaker's Apprentice book too. That's where I first read
about it and it makes perfect sense. I have found that the oven tends to
cool down when putting the bread in. Over time I have been baking at higher
temps anyway, started out at 400, then 450 and now have been wondering what
would happen if I did keep it on 500 for the first 10 minutes or so.
Haven't tried the 500 approach yet, but might do that soon.

Karen
Karen, mom to Cees, Tim, Tara, Jane, Kate and Erik
Our Homepage http://www.plomp.com/homepage.html
Birth stories!!! (add yours) http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/7269/