Re: A Question on Pita Bread

Brown_D@pcfnotes1.wustl.edu
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:12:28 -0500
v102.n035.8
To get the best puffing for pita/pocket breads, I found the most important
things was getting the thickness of the breads right:  too thick and they
don't puff, too thin and they are crackery but not puffy.  About 1/8th inch
worked well for me.  Also, one reference I remember claimed that any
additives beyond flour, water, yeast and salt could impair the rising, so
sweeteners and oils should be minimized.  The dough should be quite soft,
and not allowed to dry out after shaping--you need the surface flexible to
puff.  I've gotten good results using my baking tiles in a preheated oven
at 500 degrees, but don't move the racks during baking.  At that
temperature, they are baking through in just a few minutes anyway.

The recipe that worked from me is from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book:

2 T active dry yeast
1/2 C warm water

proof the yeast.

6 C whole wheat bread flour (I'm sure white flour would be equally good,
and I've made this with a wheat mixture that was closer to all-purpose
flour gluten content with good success).
2 1/4 t salt
2 1/2 C water

mix as usual and knead the soft dough well.  Let rise twice, punching down
in between.  Start the oven preheating during the second rise to 450-500
F (again, I prefer the tiles).  divide the dough into 2 dozen pieces,
round each and let them relax a few minutes (covered).  Roll a few out and
when you've shaped one batch, bake until puffed and no longer shiny but not
until golden or crisped (I check them within 3-4 minutes of going in.  They
actually suggest baking on the floor of the oven, which isn't practical for
an electric oven like mine, but either preheated tiles or a preheated heavy
baking sheet can be used.  While they're baking, roll out another group.

Hope some of that helps!

Diane Brown
brown_d@kids.wustl.edu