Malt Syrup

"Woofus" <woofus@adelphia.net>
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:17:57 -0400
v102.n033.7
Hello Russell,

Inresponse to your request for a local supply of diastatic malt powder, I
did quick search through Google turned up the following which I've
abbreviated a bit from it's original posting currently located at:
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/food/sourdough/faq/section-10.html> with full
credit given to the original author, "George".

...<snipped>

"Diastatic malt powder is available in some health food stores as well as
homebrew supply shops.

You can make your own:  sprout a cup of wheat berries by covering them with
water in a jar for 12 or so hours, dump out the water & rinse with clean
water, and place the jar in a darkish, warmish, place.  Rinse the berries
every day with clean water and return to their place.

In 2-3 days they will begin to sprout.  When the sprout is as long as the
berries themselves, dump them out on paper towels, dry them off, and set on
a cookie sheet in the sun for a day or so to dry out. Then put the
cookiesheet in a 100F oven for an hour or three.  Do not let the temp get
above 130F or the enzymes will be destroyed.

Then grind the dried malted berries into flour, and use it in your favorite
recipe at a rate of approx. 1t. per loaf.

I did this for the first time last week, and the bread made with is has a
lovely wheaty note that was not produced in the past when I used brewer's
(barley) malt."
-George
Hope this helps.
Tom