Monti's Roman Bread

Julie Donnelly <jmdonnelly2000@yahoo.com>
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
v102.n026.23
Belated thanks to Bob the Tarheel baker for the wonderful recipe for this
roman bread.  I dug up the recipe from the archives and made it
yesterday.  I used the potato cooking water I'd saved from the day before
instead of the plain water called for in the recipe.  I also substituted
minced shallots for the onion.  I mixed the dough and let raise for the
first rising but then had to refrigerate it overnight.  Next day I formed
the boule and let raise again then baked on a baking stone.  We had to go
to a graduation open house so couldn't dive into it right away. Afterwards,
we made salami sandwiches with provolone, kalamata olive paste, and chopped
pepperocinis.  I can't remember a better sandwich.  I'll be making this
bread often.