Lebkuchen Recipe

"Carolyn Ranker" <c.ranker@worldnet.att.net>
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:38:43 -0400
v102.n026.22
Hello,
I found this recipe in an old cookie book, copyright in 1939.  I haven't
ever tried it, but am passing it along to the individual asking for it in
the last digest.

Enjoy!

Lebkuchen

2 eggs
1/2 pound light brown sugar
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ounce citron, shredded
2 ounces almonds, blanched and shredded

Beat eggs until foamy; add sugar gradually and beat until light.  Add
sifted dry ingredients, citron, and almonds; mix well.  Turn into greased
and wax paper-lined pan, 8 by 8 by 2 inches.  Bake in moderate oven, 375 F,
for 20 to 25 minutes.  Cut into squares or bars while warm; turn out onto
rack.  Remove wax paper.

Makes 16 squares.

Source:  One Hundred Cookie Recipes Tested and Approved by Woman's Day Kitchen
Copyright, 1939