Friendship Bread - re request for recipe

Martha Stevens <mmstevens@att.net>
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:52:20 -0500
v102.n011.8
Here is a recipe for Friendship Bread that was posted by a member of the
Baking Circle at the King Arthur Flour website.  The recipe calls for
instant pudding mix -- it does not use a starter.  I've made it several
times, and the bread/cake is delicious.

(from King Arthur Flour Baking Circle at www.bakingcircle.com)
12/31/2001
mrsm

Friendship Bread

I posted this recipe-without-a-starter on a much earlier thread, but since
the topic has surfaced again, I repost it here. I have made this Amish
bread many times, and after a while, I got tired of keeping the starter. My
breads are always delicious, and like idotaxes wrote, I can't keep it in
the house for more than a day or two when I make it. I found this recipe
that tastes just like the starter bread, so I can enjoy it whenever I want
without all the fuss of keeping starter. And yes, it is a quick bread.
Probably would make fine muffins too, I have never tried that. If anyone
does come up with a formula that does not use the instant pudding, I would
love to know. I would prefer not to use instant chemicals in my bread.

Janet (MrsM)

Friendship Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (fresh, or powdered with 1 cup water)
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil (melted butter works also)
2 tsp vanilla
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding (or any flavor of your choice - chocolate and
butterscotch are good)
Streusel Topping (optional - adds a crunchy topping)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp softened butter

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour bottom only of a 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine all wet ingredients in
another bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed
of electric mixer. Combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl (if using
streusel topping).

Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle streusel over batter.

Bake at 350 F for 45-55 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes, remove to wire
rack and cool completely.

Optional: Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips or raisins or both to batter before
baking.