Proofing bread

carolyn taylor <ctaylor@bmi.net>
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 07:01:54 -0800
v102.n008.10
I know it's interesting to fiddle with the details, but don't spoil
your  fun by making too big a deal about how. When I had a backpacking
group of senior girl scouts we used to carry the flour, yeast and salt in a
plastic bag, add slightly warmed water to the bag, knead it by sqeezing the
bag, wrap it in a down sleeping bag to raise and bake it on the fire brick
floor of an oven dug into the side of a small cliff with a piece of
stovepipe run up through the top of the cliff. We'd build a fire when we
first got there and by the time the bread was ready so was the oven. You
put a rock on top of the stove pipe and soon out came the best bread you
ever tasted.

Carolyn