Sourdough

Carolyn <drsnooks@buffnet.net>
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:19:58 -0500
v102.n008.9
I realized the other day that I've been making sourdough bread three times
a week for more than 3 years now! Time flies... having fun....

The starter requires instant potato, water and 1/2 cup sugar. The dough
requires another 1/2 cup sugar. This is NOT your "San Francisco Sourdough"
taste!!

I've tried bread flour and regular, King Arthur and Pillsbury, Gold Medal
and store brand and don't see a difference in the results, except perhaps
in color -- bleached gives whiter bread... of course.  Seems I need to
develop the feel for the right amount of flour and liquids because my
measuring is inconsistant, as is the nature of the flour and the starter.

I stir it in the (big antique -- very important detail!) bowl until it's
very sticky but holding together, then knead it in the bowl until all the
flour is incorporated and it's "as smooth as a baby's bottom" but still
*very soft*. It always gets a swat or two. Seems to be important that the
ball has a light coating of flour, too, or at least is not at all sticky.

Then it goes into the pre-heated oven (170F, the lowest temp) and the heat
turned off, but the lightbulb stays on for the rising. It's important to
allow it to rise for a good 12 hours. Then I form the loaves and allow them
to rise 8 to 12 hours.

When baking, I leave the loaves in the oven and then start heating the
oven. That's against the rules, but taking the loaves out and putting them
back will deflate the loaves and that's WORSE! Besides, this method works!

By scheduling the feeding of the starter in the AM, making the dough in the
PM and allowing it to rise overnight, then forming loaves in the AM and
cooking at 4 or 5 PM, making bread takes no real time at all! I have found
that I need to make sure that the starter is cracking and squeaking
indicating that it's really alive before starting the bread.

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY