Re: Less Yeast than Normal

"Ben Mcgehee" <bnmcgehee@earthlink.net>
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:15:01 -0500
v102.n005.14
 > I received a Better Homes and Gardens Best Bread Machine Recipes
 > cookbook for Christmas.  With only a couple of exceptions, all the
 > recipes for 1 1/2 lb. loaves call for only 1 teaspoon of yeast.
 > This seems such a small amount of yeast since all the recipes that
 > I usually cook call for 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast.

I have this book as well.  I have baked many of the recipes from it, and
most of them have turned out as they should.  I would usually compromise
and put a little extra yeast in them (rounded teaspoons instead of level).
Since then I have read Peter Reinhart's Crust and Crumb, and have been
using even less yeast, although I no longer use my bread maker.  The reason
recipes call for 2 to 2 1/2 is that is how much yeast comes in one packet.
If you look at old recipes, you will see that usually they use a packet for
two loaves, not one.  My advice:  Try it with the lower yeast amounts.  If
you don't like it, raise it up a little.  It's a lot easier for me to
measure once for 1 teaspoon than more times for any other amount.

Ben McGehee