Honey vs. Sugar

"Mark Judman" <Mark_Judman@COLPAL.COM>
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:08:20 -0500
v101.n053.7
Why use sugar instead of honey?  Refined, that is, pure sugar is used
because it provides an essentially pure sweetness to breads and other
baked goods, without providing other flavors.  Honey tastes like,
well, honey.  Great in bread if you want the bread to taste like
honey.  But if you want sweetness or to give the yeast a little treat
without adding additional flavors, sugar should be used.

Depending upon the amount of honey being used instead of sugar,
recipes may have to be adjusted to cut down on the other liquids,
since honey is already a liquid.  I recall seeing something about it
in one or more baking books, but I don't recall the specifics.  Also,
I believe honey is volume-for-volume sweeter than sugar (perhaps twice
as sweet) so you'd have to make an adjustment in the recipe.  Again, I
don't recall the specifics but I've seen it in baking books.

Mark Judman  <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>