Re: bread rising too much in machine

Sue <sue@interport.net>
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:14:24 -0400
v101.n037.9
I just realized that my recent replies to this list are being sent to
never-never land because the "from" field is an error trap, not a real
"from."   Oh well.

So I've copied and and pasted them below.

 >To Susan Barron who was having problems with her bread rising too much in
the bread machine.  I have a Toastmaster and the pan in the model I have
(1155) is on the small side of 1.5 lb.  I have some tips at my website that
might help you (though some of the information is dated- eg. it seems that
2 lb loaves are now more common than 1.5).
http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport//food/abmhints.html

 >If you are using no more than 3 c flour then the overflowing is probably
due to too much liquid.  Because of the small, closed container, the bread
machine retains moisture compared to baking in an open oven so the dough
should be drier (though still smooth).  Also, some recipes just rise more
than others, in which case I back off a few tablespoons on the flour too,
then adjust the liquid.  If you are using bread flour, extra gluten is not
needed.

 >Good luck!
 >

 >I also have the Tupperware bread keeper and love it.  Actually, I have two
of them.  They are also great as cookie jars when not being used for bread.

Sue(tm)