Refreshing bread and my new bread machine

Corinaesq@aol.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 10:06:18 EDT
v101.n027.3
Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I always
thoroughly enjoy the list every week.  First, in reading recent
postings regarding ways to refresh bread, I was reminded of something
I recently read in my Rival Crockpot Cooking cookbook that dealt with
reviving stale potato chips and crackers.  Use your crockpot instead
of one of those expensive crispers you see in catalogs and on the net.
Place them in the crockpot but DO NOT cover.  Heat on the Low setting
for 2 to 4 hours, and you have crisp, warm crackers or chips (not to
mention a wonderful smelling kitchen!).

The next thing I want to share is information about my new
breadmachine.  I recently did a search on the Web for a breadmachine
that had a longer-than-12-hour delay timer, could produce quick breads
and cakes, had a quick-bake cycle, and made a traditionally shaped
horizontal loaf, as a reasonable price.  Not too much to ask, right?
Well, I found something beyond my wildest dreams, and while I haven't
tried all the bells and whistles, I am enormously pleased with my
find.  I purchased a Breadman Pro Artisan Baker, which is manufactured
by Salton, from Bluelight.com for $120!  And shipping was free! And if
I didn't like it, I could return it to my local Kmart and not have to
pay a cent for postage!  However, I have no intention on returning it.
Among the features listed above, look what else this fantastic machine
can do:

59-minute, super rapid start-to-finish bread.
Patented steam system for crispy crusts - plus unique patent pending
commercial style rack oven
Bake 6 bagels, 3 mini baguettes, 6 dinner rolls - IN THE MACHINE!
1-, 1-1/2-lb. and 2-lb. loaf
18-hour delay bake
Patented fully random pause function
INSTANT RECALL 60 minute power failure back-up
Fruit and nut "add-in" beeper
Removable lid for easy cleaning
Extra large see-through window
Rapid whole wheat program
Bake only with variable temperature control !!!!!
Cake and jam programs
Pizza and pasta dough programs
Bake-only bagel program !!!!
Bake-only french program !!!!

Let me just say that I have absolutely no connection with Kmart,
Bluelight.com, or Salton -- I am just a very happy consumer of this
product.  I have not tested every aspect of this machine, but I can't
wait to try the steam system.  The only unfortunate thing about this
machine is that I think you can only use the steam system with the
baking rack, which is included, for the bagels and rolls.  However,
even without using the steam system, the French bread is wonderfully
crusty outside, chewy and moist inside.  And unlike some of the other
breadmakers I've had, the French bread rises so high as a 1-1/2 lb.
loaf that I don't dare a 2-lb loaf!  If any of you is in the market
for a new machine, try this one out, and let me know if you try the
steam system on the rolls.  I'm going to try to make traditional
German "lauge weckle" or pretzel rolls soon.  I can't wait!

Corina Gaffney