Roll recipe

"Linda Grande" <LGrande@koin.com>
Thu, 03 May 2001 11:11:56 -0500
v101.n024.16
This recipe that I found in one of the January digests sounds great, but
I'm wondering if someone can give me the formula to cut this down to
approximately half.  (I've read somewhere that you don't always cut all the
ingredients the same percentage.)  It's too big for my bread machine.

Anyway, I'd appreciate help with this if anyone knows how to do it.

****************************

  From: claire e Kranz Banasiak <cekb@juno.com>
  Subject: Rolls
  Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:32:24 -0500

  Someone was asking about rolls.  I don't know if these are close
but  every time I make these people rave.  They are the best I have
eaten.  I  got the recipe from Gourmet years ago.

  2 T  yeast
  4 T  warm water
  1/4 cup  sugar, plus a pinch for proofing
  2 cups  milk
  1/3 cup unsalted butter (5 1/3 T)
  2 tsp  salt
  5 to 6 cups  flour

  Combine yeast,  water and pinch of sugar.  Let proof 10 minutes
  Warm 2 cups milk and butter (I do it in the microwave 1-2 min) so
butter  melts  Mix yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt and enough flour  to
make dough ( about 5 cups).  Knead for 10 minutes, adding flour to make
soft but not  sticky dough.

  Put in lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
  Punch down and form into rolls about 2" diameter. Put into 2- 8"
buttered  cake pans. Cover and let rise, 15-45 minutes.

  Lightly brush with milk before baking.  Bake at 400 degrees 15-20 minutes
or lightly browned
  Makes about 18 rolls.