Flaxseed

"Michael Cendo" <mcendo@earthlink.net>
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:11:22 -0400
v101.n024.11
Diane,  I strongly suggest grinding the flaxseed into meal using the coffee
grinder.  If you grind the flaxseed, a much higher percentage will be
digested and absorbed by the body, which is what you want since flaxseed
contains those highly beneficial omega oils among other good things. I make
flaxseed bread on a regular basis.  Here is the recipe (found on bread
recipe.com, but modified as follows) which will produce a healthy, moist,
almost nutty kind of loaf.  Great toasted with some apple butter...or all
by itself untoasted.

Whole Grain Flaxseed Bread (1 1/2 lb loaf)

1 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 Tbs canola oil
2 Tbs honey
1 1/2 tsp liquid lecithin
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole flaxseed - ground (measure it whole, then grind it)
2 Tbs gluten flour
3 Tbs dried milk
2 tsp active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in bread machine.  Select wheat cycle and start.  If
your machine has flexibility, then allow the bread to rise an extra 10
minutes by turning off the machine after the end of the last rise, then set
to bake for 45 minutes on the light crust selection.