Breadboxes

"Werner Gansz" <dwgansz@prodigy.net
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:49:06 -0400
v101.n023.9
I bake mostly European-style crusty breads,i.e. baguettes, ciabattas, hard rolls, ryes, pumpernickels, etc.  We are only two people in our household and most recipes (and mixing equipment) work best with a minimum of 3 to 3 1/2 cup batches so we always have extra loaves to store.  I've gotten pretty good at freezing loaves of crusty bread for a few weeks to a month and then refreshing them but I haven't done very well storing cut loaves or one extra loaf for the next day's use without freezing.  I am interest in the group's opinions on breadboxes, either standalone boxes, or built-in cabinet types.

1.  Do they really do anything?  As near as I can tell, they are just metal boxes.  Other than keeping critters out, what do they really do?

2.  Does it matter what type they are, counter top or built in?

3.  I've seen the Tupperware breadbox but that seems to be sized for bread machine breads and claims to keep them "moist".  Ideally I would like the crumb moist but the crust "crusty" but I am certainly willing to refresh the bread in an oven for few minutes if that's all it takes to get the crust back.

4. Are there any other recommended methods of short term storage and refreshing for crusty breads?

One of the joys of baking bread is that the baker gets to sample the first loaf at the perfect time, 1 1/2 hours or so after it comes out of the oven.  I realize that its all downhill from there but I am hoping there are experts out there that have developed methods of short term bread storage that maintain their flavors and textures for at least a day or two.

Werner Gansz