that pesky preheat cycle on the Zo bread machine

"Schmitt, Barbara E." <BSchmitt@GOULSTONSTORRS.com>
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:58:30 -0400
v101.n022.4
I have a Zo bread machine that I love, but all of the preset programs
have a preheat cycle of about 20 minutes that seems pointless to me
(and, for what it's worth, to the folks at King Arthur).  I know that
I could do a custom program to eliminate this, but hey --
theoretically, I can program the VCR too.  I have discovered, however,
that I can start the program without the pan in the machine.  Thus,
when I get ready to bake bread, I take out the pan, close the lid, and
push "start."  While I am digging out the recipe, measuring
ingredients, etc., the machine is running through its preheat cycle
all by itself.  When I put the pan back in the machine, it just
continues the cycle.  The result?  I have saved about 5-10 minutes off
the breadbaking process without effort.  Not earthshattering, but life
is made up of little victories!