Magic in bread machines

"Wayne Davis" <whdavis@iname.com>
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:00:21 -0500
v101.n016.17
Not only are bread machines not for everybody, they're not for every type of
bread.  But they do work for some families for some types of bread.  We have
a fondness for Japanese-style white bread (i.e., the Japanese version of
western white bread), which I discovered by accident the bread machine makes
quite well, simply by substituting one-half to three-quarters of the flour
in a standard recipe with First Clear flour from King Arthur, plus a
teaspoon of dough enhancer.  Of course, you'll need to experiment with
adjusting liquids amounts a tad up or down, and maybe cutting back on your
yeast a bit to avoid an explosion.  No, it doesn't have quite the magic of
handmade ... but then again, it takes me 5 minutes to whip up before I go to
bed, and it's waiting for us hot and fresh for breakfast.