Bread books? and a recipe

Kathleen <schuller@ix.netcom.com>
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:17:43 -0600
v101.n014.20
I'm in the mood to buy some new bread cookbooks.  What are the essential
cookbooks that every bread baker should own?  I make my bread by hand.

Today is very snowy.  So, instead of the making the long trek on the
interstate which is supposed to be more like a parking lot during rush hour
today, I stayed home and made bean soup and this bread.  This recipe
interested me because it makes just one loaf of a heavy bread.

Kathleen

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Seven-Grain Bread

Recipe By     : Great Whole Grain Breads by Beatrice Ojakangas, page 164
Categories    : Breads

       1/2  cup           boiling water
       1/3  cup           seven-grain cereal
     2      tablespoons   salad oil
     2      tablespoons   honey
       3/4  teaspoon      salt
       1/4  cup           warm water -- (105F-115F)
     1      package       active dry yeast
     1                    egg
     2      cups          whole wheat flour -- up to 2 1/2 cups

Seven-grain cereals are available in health and natural foods stores, and
although different brands may have different proportions, all work equally
well in this recipe.  The usual combination consists of some blending of
wheat, oats, triticale, millet, soybeans, buckwheat and yellow corn.

MAKES 1 LOAF

In large mixing bowl, mix the boiling water and cereal; let stand until
cooled.  Add the oil, honey, and salt to cereal.  In small bowl or cup, mix
the warm water into the yeast.  Let stand 5 minutes or until yeast is
foamy.  When cereal mixture has cooled to 105F-115F., add yeast and
egg.  Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough; let stand 15
minutes.  Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth, about
5 minutes.  Wash bowl, lightly grease it, add dough to bowl, turn over to
grease top, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 2 hours.

Punch dough down and shape into an oblong loaf.  Lightly grease an 8 1/2 x
4 1/2-inch loaf pan.  Place dough into pan.  Let rise in warm place until
doubled, about 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or
until loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped.  Remove from pan and
cool on rack.